Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Trends

There’s an issue that I’ve been meaning to address for a while (okay, well I just started this blog, so not for that long).  Despite all the snow that’s still around, I can assure you that spring is in fact around the corner.  The fashion magazines have just announced the trends for spring, some of which are vintage, neutrals, colour blocks, lace, and whites.  The magazines all have their own interpretations of how we should wear these trends, and what stores to shop at to buy clothes that fit these trends. 
            Teen fashion magazines are targeted towards, well, teens. I’m thinking around the 13-17 range, maybe even younger at this day in age.  They are students (shouldn’t I say we because I’m a student too?) Most of them just like to have a vague idea of what to look for when they go shopping for new clothes.  I’m sure at one point in time; every teen has flipped to a page in a magazine displaying a totally ridiculous outfit and wondered, “Who could possibly wear this?” (I can firmly say that even I have done this…many times.)  To give an example, in a recent magazine (which shall remain nameless) that I was looking at the other day; I saw an outfit that consisted of a sweater dress paired with chunky high tops and oversized sunglasses.  Other examples that I’ve seen in the past are layers upon layers of clothing and stacked accessories (like 10 bangles on one arm). I don’t see the point of advertising these outfit ideas. We are students. We don’t have time to find the perfect colours and textures that layer perfectly, or the accessories that can be stacked effortlessly. Furthermore, where are we getting the money to pay for all these clothes? Magazines advertise new articles of clothing every month that we simply must have in our closets.  Not to mention that these clothes aren’t very practical. We can’t type out essays with rings that go through two fingers, or sit for a two hour exam wearing short shorts and a tank top in an air conditioned gym.
            Before you go and comment that trends can be practical, hear me out. Yes, we can choose to skip the four inch heels when we have ten minutes to dash all the way across campus, or the chunky accessories when we have to focus on a final.  I recently discovered what I believe is the answer to ridiculous fashion.  The more absurd an outfit is, the more attention it will attract; people might say “that’s different! (But completely crazy!)” Then, they might look closely at this outfit, take it apart and evaluate how the pieces can be worn separately. They may actually go as far as buying one or two things and then pairing it with something they already have.  And voila.  That’s how you can achieve to wear the trends without looking over the top. The same goes for runway shows. The clothes modelled on the runway aren’t practical at all! They key is to look at the individual pieces and incorporate them with things you already own.  This not only keeps you up to date with fashion, but allows you to figure out your personal style.  That’s always a good thing, isn’t it?
            So can we fix the outfit I mentioned above? I would take the sweater dress and pair it with some tights, cute flats, maybe a headband and some pearls, and now it’s totally my style- classic and girly.  Alternatively, I could take a fashion risk and pair the high tops with dark wash skinny jeans, a graphic tee, and a leather jacket, and I could be ready to rock and roll.
            Stay stylish!

No comments:

Post a Comment